What payment options are available to pay the IRS for 94x filing?
10.5k views |
Last modified 11/1/2023 6:00:22 AM EST |
Added by TaxBandits Team
When filing 94x forms, it is possible that you may owe tax to the IRS. In such cases, you have several options to pay your balance due to the IRS. These payment methods include
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Credit/Debit Card
- Check or Money Order
1. Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
Electronics Funds Withdrawal is an e-file payment method available for taxpayers whose balance due is less than $2500. Provide your bank details for electronic funds withdrawal on the Requested Payment Date, which is set to the date of transmission of the return. This is when the actual debit happens. If the debit date falls on a weekend or holiday, the amount will be withdrawn on the next business day.
You cannot use the EFW option to make the payments for Form 940 when the balance due is more than $500.
2. Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
EFTPS is a free system offered by the U.S. Department of Treasury to pay your federal taxes. If you prefer to pay by EFTPS, it is your sole responsibility to send the payment to the IRS using an EFTPS account after transmitting the return.
You must schedule payments by 8:00 pm EST the day before the deadline to be received by the IRS on the EFTPS site after registering.
3. Credit/Debit Card Payments
If you choose to pay your tax balance using a credit/debit card, there are two payment methods available based on your 94x form balance due.
- If your balance due is less than $2500, you can pay within your TaxBandits account through our third-party service provider, "ACI Payments, Inc." after the IRS accepts your return.
- If your balance due is greater than $2500, you are solely responsible for paying the balance due after completing the filling by visiting www.irs.gov/payments. Please note that the credit card processor will charge a convenience fee.
4. Check or Money Order
To pay by check or money order, you need to download and print the payment voucher and the respective Form 94x from the Distribution Center. Make your check/money order payable to the U.S. Treasury. Do not staple or paperclip the check or voucher to the printed copy of the respective 94x form. Mail the voucher, check/money order along with the printed form 94x to the U.S. Treasury to the appropriate address specified on the instruction page.